Not all of us are young, limber, and bustling with energy. Some of us need a little assistance to carve out the most pain-free path to six-pack abs glory. This is where ab machines come into play. They’re exactly what some of us need to reach our fitness goals. Welcome to our exciting guide on the best ab machines that work!
All of the machines in our Top 10 are ready to use in the comfort of your own home as soon as you’re ready, and what better time to start than now?
In this comprehensive guide, we share:
- Top 10 Best Ab Machines for Home Use
- Our Ab Machine Reviews
- Answer the question: Do ab machines work?
- How to Use Ab Machines the Right Way
Best Ab Machine Reviews
Are your abs ready to start crunching their way to glory yet? With all these great ab machine options for your home, you may be torn between several of our picks.
In this part of our guide, we take a closer look at what makes these the best in-home ab machines and see what current owners are saying. By the end, you’ll know for sure which machine(s) is the best for your home!
#1) Ab Coaster Max
Tristar Products Inc. Ab Coaster Max is the only ab coaster on the market that we trust. Other imitation coasters have too many complaints about malfunctioning/missing parts and inferior materials.
With that out of the way, we’re big fans of this ab machine because it essentially recreates the movement of a hanging leg raise. The main advantage of the machine is it gives almost anyone the ability to really target the core without stressing the rest of the body.
The movement allows the user to really stretch the core on the backward slide and crunch it to the near max at the peak of the rails. The elbow and knee pads take all the stress away from the wrists, back, and shoulders, which are common injury sites for most people. If you used to love doing leg raises and can no longer do them due to age or injury, the Ab Coaster Max gives you the ability to roll back the hands of time.
The heavy-duty steel construction ensures the machine won’t wobble, and the frame supports up to 300 lbs. Most people should have no problem hopping on the Ab Coaster Max and getting right to work.
- A lot of users finally get the results they were after when other ab machines had failed them in the past
- People 40+ are really enjoying their new toned core
- Sturdy and no wobbling (this is super important in our humble opinion)
- Easy for most people to assemble
- Awesome for home use + office use
- The physical shape results are motivating people to use it every day
- Smooth movement along the rails
- 5-15 minutes a day is more than enough to work up a burn
- High-Quality Parts
- Noticeably stronger and firmer abs
- Several quality control issues
- People with long torsos may have trouble getting a full extension
- There may be better options for really shredding your abs
#2) Fitness Reality X-Class Ab Bench
The Fitness Reality X-Class Ab Bench is seriously awesome and certainly one of the best in-home ab machines. Younger individuals who are serious about dieting and sculpting the six-pack of their dreams are the best candidates for an ab bench of this caliber.
We love doing hyperextensions aka back extensions to keep our lower back muscles toned. A lot of people forget how important it is to do lower-back exercises as part of a six-pack journey.
The X-Class Ab Bench allows you to hit your entire core from every angle. You have the ability to do sit-ups, crunches, back extensions, leg raises, knee raises, and incline push-ups.
This bench is also a beast. It has a 650-lb real weight capacity and accommodates people between 5′ to 6’4″ in height. Lastly, the materials are premium, comfortable, and will stand the test of time.
- Quality materials and comfy padding
- Great hip support for back extensions
- High-Quality Hardware
- Easy-to-Follow Instructions
- Super Durable
- Excellent for both men and women of almost all heights
- The best workout bench for ab workouts
- Main bench is long enough to use as a general workout bench
- Great angles for ab work
- Larger than other ab machines in our Top 10
- Tall people may have trouble doing decline exercises without raising the bench
- Does not fold up for easy storage
#3) Wonder Core
There are currently two versions of the Wonder Core available: the Wonder Core Smart and Wonder Core Smart Twist. The difference is the Twist version’s seat allows you to rotate during your ab workout. We like this feature because it allows the user to really hit the obliques and target the entire core to achieve a more toned appearance. Regardless of which version you choose, the Wonder Core is one of the most convenient home ab machines.
You may be wondering what the Wonder Core actually does if it’s your first time seeing it. The main advantage of the Wonder Core is assistance. It assists the user to relieve stress (especially at the neck) and maintaining better form during body-weight exercises such as sit-ups and push-ups. A quality ab machine should make working out easier & pain-free, and that’s exactly what the Wonder Core does.
It comes fully assembled, folds easily to store almost anywhere, and includes an exercise DVD, plus a fitness guide.
- Awesome sit-up assistance
- Prevents neck pain while doing ab workouts
- Real weight-loss results
- Great for keeping the buttocks, legs, and abs toned
- An excellent choice for people who suffer from neck, back, and knee pain
- Trim inches from the waistline
- Reported problems with the springs in the arms breaking
- Best suited for beginners, not serious fitness devotees
- May not be as comfortable as you’d like (definitely not on an Ab Lounge level)
#4) SNODE Ab Roller (E320 & S550)
We previously included the SNODE Ab Wheel on our list of best ab rollers, and we felt the need to include its awesomeness here. The SNODE roller is lesser-known than the more popular Ab Carver, yet it’s a lot nicer. The greatest advantage of this type of ab roller machine is the resistance and rebound assistance provided by the patented internal spring steel sheet.
Both the E320 and S550 are perfect for beginners who want to start doing ab roller workouts. They’re also great for people who are no longer able to use standard ab wheels and need a little help to move back and forth. Keep in mind, ab roller workouts are difficult. Even young people who are out of shape can’t hop on an ab wheel and start churning out reps.
The main difference between the E320 and S550 is the inclusion of a digital workout display on the S550 model that counts calories, reps, and tracks time. Either way, you can’t go wrong with this ab roller; it’s undoubtedly one of the best ab machines for home use and travel on the market.
#5) Rodeo Core
Similar to the Ab Coaster Max, the Daiwa U.S. Jaclean Rodeo Core is all about one movement to whip your core into shape. The Ab Coaster Max is better for targeting your core on your journey to get six-pack abs, while the Rodeo Core targets your core plus your legs, back, and glutes.
If you’re fond of the body shape of horseback riders, then the Rodeo Core is the ideal ab machine for your home. The wonderful part is it requires no electricity, and it’s super compact. Most users find that working out on the Rodeo Core is fun, which we feel is its greatest benefit.
Sometimes, all people need is a little push to get going, and calories burnt are better than calories sticking around your gut.
- A solid ab workout
- The motion allows you to really squeeze your abs to get them toned
- Fun to ride and easy to get into a rhythm of using it
- Tighter abs with daily use
- Improved overall core strength
- Sturdy and takes up little room
- Even people who are 70+ are loving it
- Takes some time to learn how to target the abs
- The seat can get uncomfortable during long sessions
#6) Goplus Ab Trainer
Unlike the Rodeo Core and Ab Coaster, the Goplus Ab Trainer allows for several different ab exercises in one machine. It’s less versatile than an ab bench, yet more versatile than the Coaster and Rodeo Core.
What we like the most is the movement. If you suffer from knee, back, or neck pain, the Goplus Ab Trainer allows you to do vertical reverse crunches in a stress-free way.
It’s less of a crunch than the peak of the Ab Coaster, yet it’s more than enough for most people to keep their abs toned. Another feature we like is the height adjustability. As you grow stronger and become more comfortable with the machine, it’s quite easy to adjust the height to make your workouts easier or harder.
Overall, for the price, the materials are high-quality, and the build is sturdy enough to accommodate up to 220 lbs.
- People who are 50+ are crushing their abs on this machine
- Great for toning the core and arms
- Lightweight & Easy to Assemble
- Folds easily for storage
- Sturdy and operates smoothly
- The upward knee movement really targets the abs without stressing the joints
- Great Price
- Targets lower abs well
- Not the best choice for people who are already in great shape
- May not provide enough assistance for people with pain issues
#7) Stealth Core Trainer
If you fall into the category of people who need the motivation to get into an ab workout routine, the Stealth Core Trainer may be the best ab machine for your home.
There are currently several versions available, including the Stealth Core Gamer Trainer Professional and Stealth Plankster Core Trainer. The most significant difference is the higher price for the Core Gamer model.
According to users, the Professional model is made in the USA, and the Personal model is made in China. Also, the Professional model is made to support people 250+ lbs and is okay for commercial use in gyms and studios. The Plankster and Personal models are for home use only.
With that bit of info out of the way, the awesome part about this machine is you use your body to interact with a game on your phone. The Stealth Core Trainer works with both iPhone and Android smartphones. It also comes with its own app and games, which we think is pretty cool, especially if they continue to release more games. You also have the option to do group challenges with friends.
Planks are an excellent core workout for achieving toned abs, and if it takes a video game to make doing them fun, then why not?
- High-Quality Materials
- Easy to Use (No assembly required)
- Noticeable increase in core strength
- Better Posture
- The app is super fun and no bugs
- The motions engage more of the core than simple planks
- Hold your planks for much longer since you’re distracted by the game (this is actually kind of 21st-century genius level in our opinion)
- The whole family will love it
- Limited games
- The high upfront cost
- Beginner plankers need to be careful not to smash their fingers
#8) Ab Lounge Sport
The Ab Lounge Sport has stood the test of time and is still the reigning MVP in the comfort fitness department. It’s the best ab machine for people who like to get their ab workout on while watching their favorite sport. What other ab machine on the market is a recliner that you can do crunches on?
The Ab Lounge Sport is also ideal for people who have suffered injuries and need all the support they can get when doing crunches to avoid aggravating old injuries or experiencing pain.
While it’s not a first-choice piece of ab equipment for gym rats, it is great for keeping your abs engaged long-term while relaxing. That’s the reason why we love it. Yes, you can stay engaged on a Yoga Ball while watching TV, but it’s not as supportive as the Ab Lounge.
The sturdy steel frame supports up to 250 lbs and folds up quickly & easily for storage.
- The ability to use it for extended periods while watching TV can not be understated
- Real weight loss results
- Super easy to use, yet highly effective for engaging the core
- Comfortable, stress-free workouts
- Easy to assemble
- Prevents neck pain commonly associated with crunches
- Durable (lasts some people over 10 years)
- Too narrow for some people
- A handful of missing part reports
- May take up too much space
#9) Armageddon Sports Premium Ab Straps
While these aren’t technically a machine, ab straps or ab slings are one of the best pieces of ab equipment that money can buy. Plus, they are great to use with ab machines that feature pull-up bars. Ab Straps give anyone the ability to do leg raises, which is one of the most productive ab workouts on the planet.
No exercise has developed my abs and core more than hanging leg raises. It’s that simple. The problem with hanging leg raises is the level of difficulty, especially for beginners. Newbies often rock back and forth, which instantly destroys the chance of reaping any benefits from the workout. Why do they rock? Because it’s impossible not to rock until you build up some foundational core strength.
In comes ab straps to the rescue. Ab straps prevent the body from rocking, they relieve pressure at the wrists and require no grip at the bar. They’re super portable, and you can set up a station to do leg raises in your garage or any room in your home. They take up no space. There are seriously too many advantages to list here.
- Massive, heavy-duty carabiners support well over 225 lbs
- Long enough straps to provide ample headroom
- Comfortable padded bottom in each sling
- Commercial-Gym Quality
- Versatile Installation (fasten to ceiling joists using heavy-duty eye bolts)
- Intense Ab Workouts, like the kind of ab workout it takes to get a six-pack type of intense
- Super Durable
- May not feel comfortable for smaller people
- You may desire more padding
#10) Kit4Fit Wall-Mounted Knee Raise & Dip Station
A great formula for getting shredded is knee raises, pull-ups, and dips. Master those three workouts, and you’ll be fitter than most people on Earth. The reasons we chose the Kit4Fit wall-mounted pull-up station over others on the market are the design and quality of the materials. We love how the pull-up bar gives you multiple places to hang ab straps.
You can easily start with knee raises before graduating to knee raises with ab slings, then ultimately doing hanging leg raises on your own from the pull-up bar. This progression will take your abs further than any single-movement ab machine on the market. On the flip side of the coin, a wall-mounted dip station is a lot harder to use than the Ab Coaster or Core Rodeo.
Depending on your age, skill level, and injury history, a wall-mounted station may or may not be the best ab machine for your home. It’s also a lot more intimidating to look at than the Ab Lounge or Stealth Core Trainer. These are important considerations to make before choosing a machine in our Top 10.
- Very, very sturdy (it supports men 250 lbs+)
- Functional design, easy to make adjustments between different workout modes
- Awesome for a garage gym
- Easy to assemble for most people
- High-Quality, Comfortable Padding
- Solid station for knee raises and hanging leg raises
- Not easy to install for everyone (do not place directly against drywall or it could punch holes)
- Directions could be better
Do ab machines work?
Yes, ab machines do work. The machines in our Top 10 are effective ab machines that’ll engage your core. Having said that, it’s always important to remember that anything that sounds too good to be true probably is.
For this reason, we kept our reviews closed to our opinions without adding any extra fluff. We recommend reading each of our ab machine reviews closely along with the pros and cons reported by users to get an idea of what to really expect from each ab machine.
It’s important to consider the level of difficulty you’re after and the results. Not all of the machines in our Top 10 are easy to use. We chose the Ab Coaster as our #1 pick because it provides the most results from the least amount of work.
We understand that people suffer injuries and grow beyond a point where they can do the same things as youngsters. For these reasons, we took extra care when selecting our best in-home ab machine picks.
Below we put together a chart based on the level of difficulty for each machine in our Top 10 to help you choose:
|Ab Lounge Sport||Wonder Core||Ab Straps/Slings|
|Rodeo Core||Snode Ab Roller||Wall-Mounted Knee Raise Station|
|Ab Coaster Max||Fitness Reality X-Class Ab Bench|
|Goplus Ab Trainer|
|Stealth Core Trainer|
How to Use an Ab Machine for Maximum Results
The first step is to always read the directions and warnings for any machine you purchase before you use it. This step is critical to avoid injuries and get an understanding of how to use the machine.
The next step – and the most important one – is to learn how to engage your ab muscles. The mind-muscle connection is very, very important when toning and building your ab muscles.
Once you learn to engage your ab muscles and make them do most of the work, your results will skyrocket. One of the main reasons that people fail on their journey to get six-pack abs is they never figure out how important it is to engage the core during every rep.
Instead, they hop on a machine, do what they think they’re supposed to do, then get frustrated when they don’t see results. Tiny adjustments can have a huge impact on results. A simple tweak such as moving your elbows closer to your body can make a dramatic difference for some workouts.
The point is to get to know your core and how to engage it with any machine you use. Once you read the directions, you’ll learn the best way to use the machine to get the best results over time.
Lastly, always remember that putting in the work is all that matters. Don’t expect to start out with perfect form or be a Zen master of mind-muscle connection.
How to Use the Ab Coaster
We found two demonstration videos for the Ab Coaster that are quite helpful. The first video below explains the do’s and don’ts of using the Ab Coaster:
The second video is an Ab Coaster circuit training workout for women that really targets the abs, buttocks, and legs:
We’re confident that our guide will lead you to the best ab machine for your home. You may even decide to add multiple ab machines to your home gym or invest in a set of ab slings to take your ab game to the next level. No matter how old you are, there are options in our Top 10 for you.
Be sure to account for any previous injuries or areas of your body that are prone to experiencing pain before you choose an ab machine. We wish you the best of luck on your ab journey and are always here to answer any of your questions!