In the 21st century, everyone gets to be a sculptor, and your body is your clay. One of the tools you have at your disposal for sculpting that alluring figure is a slimming belt aka waist trimmer or ab belt. In this comprehensive guide to choosing the best slimming belt for weight loss, we aim to answer one core question: Do waist trimmers work?
Below, we share:
- Top 10 Slimming Belts & Waist Trimmers
- Slimming Belt Reviews
- Our special FAQ guide to ensure you get the most out of your waist trimmer
Best Slimming Belt Reviews
In this section, we summarize what we like about each of the waist trimmers in our Top 10 before sharing the pros and cons of each product.
We’re confident that by the end of our guide, you’ll know for sure which belt is the one for you and how to use it to get the best weight loss results!
Sweet Sweat Waist Trimmer
You may have already noticed that most waist trimmers are made of latex-free neoprene with very similar designs. So why did we choose Sweet Sweat as the best slimming belt for weight loss?
The Sweet Sweat Waist Trimmer results speak for themselves. There are more than enough before & after photos to see that the Sweet Sweat slimming belt is helping real people lose weight.
We’re also fans of the Sweet Sweat fat burning gel, which pairs perfectly with the waist trimmer – more on that later in the guide. Aside from the results, the Sweet Sweat Premium Waist Trimmer is made of premium materials as its name suggests.
There are also design touches such as the Double Overlock Stitching and a non-slip inner surface that ensure this belt will not only stand the test of time but give you the advertised results.
Lastly, Sweet Sweat Waist Trimmer sizes offer the widest range of options for both men and women: Small all the way up to XX-Large. We recommend using a measuring tape and considering your weight loss goals before you order.
- Awesome before & after photos
- You may also love the back support it provides
- Fairly Priced
- Effectively targets belly fat
- Super Comfortable
- Helps to burn that stubborn layer of subcutaneous fat above your abdominal muscles
- Durability issues
- May cause skin irritation
- Doesn’t live up to everyone’s expectations
TNT Pro Series Waist Trimmer
The TNT Pro Series Waist Trimmer is another popular option with very similar features to the Sweet Sweat trimmer. Comparatively, the Sweet Sweat trimmer feels higher quality in the hand, but it’s narrower than the TNT trimmer. If you have a long torso, be sure to check the width of both belts when you select your size according to your desired belt length.
People with longer torsos may want to stick with the TNT waist trimmer. Another advantage is the TNT belt is a couple of bucks cheaper at the time of this writing. The drawback is the TNT belt doesn’t come with a mesh carry bag and a free sample of fat-burning gel (Sweet Sweat does).
Both belts are made of latex-free neoprene, which is the optimal material for trapping heat to ignite thermogenesis in the torso. Neoprene also wicks sweat away from your body during your workout while keeping bacterial funk at bay.
- The belt is quite sturdy, even for large men over 300 lbs
- One of the best waist trimmers for quickly working up a serious sweat
- Doesn’t slide around while playing sports or working out
- Eliminates water weight
- Considered by many to be the best ab belt
- Relieves and prevents back strain
- You may find it less comfortable than other brands
- Potential quality control issues
- Too thin for some
Yianna Waist Trimmer Belt
The Yianna Waist Trimmer is a hybrid waist trainer/trimmer, ideal for women who want to burn belly fat while training their waist to get the coveted hourglass figure. Like the Sweet Sweat and TNT trimmers, the Yianna waist trimmer is also made of latex-free neoprene. The key difference is the shape and larger width of the Yianna belt.
The Yianna belt comes with removable heavy-duty steel bones for tummy tuck & back support. While working out, simply remove the bones to allow for more flexibility while working up a sweat.
Another feature we like is the velcro strap system that gives you the option to choose between strong support while waist training or comfortable support while exercising.
Yianna also recommends using the belt during postpartum recovery for compression and support to flatten the tummy. Overall, this is a versatile waist trimmer made of premium materials for an affordable price.
- An affordable alternative to the KA’OIR WAIST ERASER™
- Helps to eliminate unwanted inches around the waist
- Provides more support than other waist trimmers without sacrificing comfort
- More sweat than narrower waist trimmers
- Great for alleviating back pain
- High-Quality Materials
- True to size
- May not stand the test of time with constant use
- Does not cinch the waist as much as premium waist trainers (better as a trimmer than trainer)
- May cause discomfort when worn directly against the skin
McDavid Waist Trimmer
The McDavid Waist Trimmer for men & women reminds us of the TNT trimmer for a cheaper price. If you’re on the fence about buying or trying a waist trimmer, the McDavid 491 trimmer is an excellent budget option.
Like the Sweet Sweat and TNT belts, the McDavid trimmer is latex-free neoprene and features a non-slip inner layer. One thing we really like about the McDavid belt is the women’s version with added back support. The women’s belt also comes down lower to get the tops of the hips and lower abdomen involved.
- Excellent for improving posture
- Helps to work up a serious sweat around the midsection
- Noticeably slims down the tummy
- Excellent back support
- Stays in place during abdominal workouts (a top-rated ab belt)
- Very comfortable
- May cause skin irritation
- The materials may not be on par with other top brands
- Durability issues
Perfotek Waist Trimmer Belt
Now, if you’re really, really on the fence about trying a waist trimmer, the Perfotek trimmer is even cheaper than the McDavid belt at the time of this writing. The drawback – and main reason it’s so cheap – is the Perfotek trimmer is made of a neoprene blend, rather than 100% premium latex-free neoprene. What we noticed is more complaints about the odor.
On the bright side, Perfortek offers a 100% money-back guarantee and is upfront about the materials used to make the trimmer. Another consideration to make before you buy is the one-size-fits-all nature of the Perfotek trimmer. It’s adjustable up to 42″ only, so those with bigger journeys ahead of them may need to look at other options in our Top 10 to get a proper fit.
- Works up a serious sweat for the fraction of a cost of premium trimmers
- Comfortable to wear during exercise
- Reduction in waist size
- An excellent addition to any weight-loss regimen
- Provides back support
- Actual belly fat burning
- The neoprene blend odor
- May not last as long as other brands with heavy use
- Will not fit larger individuals
FeelinGirl Waist Trimmer
The FeelinGirl waist trimmer is available in two types: one version with removable support bones and a second version with permanent support bones. The first picture on the left is a model wearing the version with removable support bones. This version is comparable to the Yianna trimmer.
What we like about the FeelinGirl waist trimmer with permanent bones is the price for what you get in return. It’s made of latex-free neoprene – the same as pricier options – and covers more of your waist for enhanced support. The contoured shape of the belt hugs the curves of your body while the elastic strap system allows you to increase compression around your abdomen.
Overall, we like the FeelinGirl trimmer belt as a budget option for women who are seeking a waist trainer/trimmer hybrid belt that’s versatile enough to use in and out of the gym.
- A much more affordable Waist Eraser™ alternative
- The strap allows for more compression than standard waist trimmers
- The version with removable bones is better for exercise
- Works well to lose weight when paired with a good fat-burning cream
- Ample back support
- You may not find it comfortable
- Sizing can be tricky
- You may not be a fan of the support bones
SteelFit Waist Trimmer
It’s easy to tell just by looking at it that the SteelFit Waist Trimmer is made to be a budget alternative to Sweet Sweat. The major difference is the lack of sizes available in the SteelFit department. The SteelFit trimmer is one size fits all, which may or may not be a dealbreaker for you.
Similar to the Sweet Sweat belt, the SteelFit is made of latex-free neoprene and features a non-slip inner surface to keep it snug against your abdomen during your workout.
- Helps to improve posture
- Fits well and comfortably
- Works up a good sweat
- Stays in place during exercise
- Durability issues
- Does not fit larger individuals
GoFit Waist Trimmer
Of all the waist trimmers in our Top 10, the GoFit trimmer provides the least back support. In our opinion, this is a good and bad thing. What we like is that it’s made for working up a sweat first. It’s lighter weight and allows for more movement during your workout or run. It’s also easier to slip under a shirt and less likely to draw attention when worn above a shirt.
On the flight side of the coin, back support is one of the greatest advantages of using a waist trimmer for most people since it can significantly improve posture. GoFit does claim that its trimmer provides back support, but it’s easy to tell that the other trimmers in our Top 10 are better options for back support.
Depending on your needs, you may love that the GoFit Trimmer is lighter weight and less cumbersome than most other slimming belts on the market.
- Excellent for working up a sweat around the abdomen
- Real belly fat loss
- Reduction in waist size
- Very comfortable
- Perfect thickness, not thin like cheap trimmers
- Little if any back support
- Issues with the velcro
Everlast Slimming Belt
Last but certainly not least is the Everlast Slimmer Belt available in both men’s and women’s versions. The main difference between the two versions is the larger width of the women’s belt at 12″. Both versions incorporate Everlast’s Compress-X technology to keep the belt in place while you train.
The #1 complaint we found was the odor, similar to what we found while reviewing the Perfotek trimmer. This tells us that the Everlast slimming belt is not made of 100% latex-free neoprene, and since the price isn’t too much lower than the Sweet Sweat trimmer, we prefer the Sweet Sweat.
- Wider than most other slimming belts
- Excellent back support
- Comfortable, snug fit
- Great for releasing water weight
- Works up a lot of sweat
- You may not like the odor (though it does go away over time)
- Durability issues
Now that you’re familiar with the best slimming belts for weight loss, let’s go over several key questions to consider before you buy and to help you get the best results after you buy.
How to Use a Slimming Belt
Depending on which slimming belt or waist trimmer you choose from our Top 10, it’s important to follow the directions provided by the manufacturer since not all slimming belts are the same.
Despite their differences, there are certain steps to follow to get the best weight loss results. Below is our general list of dos and don’ts:
- Don’t wrap the waist trimmer so tight that it cuts off your circulation
- Do wrap it tight enough that it will trap the heat against your body and not slide around
- Do focus on wrapping it around the part of your abdomen you want to lose weight in the most, e.g., the lower or upper abdomen (or be sure to choose a wider belt that’ll cover your entire abdomen)
- Don’t buy the wrong size! Be sure to check the size chart and what current users are saying about sizing before you buy.
- Do consider the materials. The last thing you want to do is get an allergic reaction.
- Don’t expect a slimming belt to magically make a six-pack appear!
- Do stay consistent! The more heat you create in your abdomen the more you ignite a thermogenic effect in your body. The key to weight loss is to burn more calories than you eat. More heat in your abdomen equals more daily calories burned. Consistency is the key to achieving your weight loss goal and desired shape.
- Don’t wear a neoprene waist trimmer for more than 2 hours at a time
- Don’t wear your neoprene slimming belt to bed
Slimming belts can be worn outside of the gym and inside the gym. The more you wear your belt the more sweat you’ll work up in your abdominal region daily. People who go all-in on their weight loss journeys are the people who reach their goals!
The video below demonstrates how to use a Sweet Sweat Waist Trimmer:
How do waist trimmers work?
If you’re anything like me, you’re probably thinking to yourself, Is this thing a total gimmick?
Here’s the thing, slimming belts and waist trimmers aren’t going to make you magically lose weight. However, they are great additions to weight-loss journeys.
One way to always lose weight that’s not changing anytime soon is to go into a caloric deficit aka burn more calories than you eat. Slimming belts help you burn more calories by promoting thermogenesis.
Aside from heat, they provide additional benefits.
Slimming Belt Benefits
- Shed water weight in your abdomen
- Back support and pain relief
- Improve Posture
- Make fat-burning creams and gels more productive
- Wearing a slimming belt keeps your head in the game
When to wear a waist trimmer belt?
It’s best to wear a waist trimmer belt during exercise, particularly during cardio workouts such as jogging or walking on a treadmill. It can also be worn around the house, at work, or any time you desire additional back and posture support.
Just remember that neoprene waist trimmers aren’t made to be worn for more than 2 hours at a time without giving your skin a chance to breathe.
How to Clean a Sweet Sweat Waist Trimmer
You may be wondering if it’s okay to put your waist trimmer in the washer and dryer? We don’t recommend it! Most users find out that running a waist trimmer through the washer and dryer will destroy the velcro. Even if it makes it out okay, it’ll more than likely shorten the life of the trimmer.
One tip we found useful is to bring your waist trimmer in the shower with you after a workout to rinse it off and hand-wash it with mild soap. Then simply hang it over the shower curtain rod or door to dry.
Where to buy Sweet Sweat Waist Trimmer?
The best deals we found and the widest selection available are all online. Click Here to jump back to our Top 10 chart to help you decide which trimmer is best for you.
Does a slimming belt work?
We want you to be aware that there’s no concrete scientific evidence proving the effectiveness of slimming belts for weight loss. While we do believe a lot of before & after photos are real, we don’t believe 100% of them. We know for sure that a slimming belt on its own will not effectively melt fat away or significantly reduce weight. We do, however, believe waist trimmers are useful as part of a weight-loss journey.
Waist Trainer vs Waist Trimmer
What’s the difference between a waist trainer and a waist trimmer? Waist trimmers are often made of latex-free neoprene designed to make you sweat, and trainers are made of latex.
A waist trainer is designed to reshape your waist by wearing it consistently over long periods of time. Waist trimmers are made to be worn for a couple of hours at a time max.
Obviously, waist trainers are made for women, while waist trimmers are made for men and women who want to lose weight around the gut by burning more calories during exercise. Trainers aren’t made with exercise in mind and would be uncomfortable to wear for most workouts. Instead, trainers are made to help women obtain an hourglass figure.
Trainers are also typically corsets, which are much longer than standard waist trimmer belts. The Yianna and FeelinGirl waist trimmers in our guide are the closest trimmers come to being waist trainers.
Do slimming belts work? Of all the products we recommend and review on our site, slimming belts are honestly one of the least important. Diet and exercise come first when it comes to achieving weight loss. We believe slimming belts work the best for people who get more motivated through owning one.
On their own, slimming belts only do so much for someone who’s trying to lose weight. When combined with fat-burning creams and gels, slimming belts become more effective. We’ve seen thermogenic camera proof showing that quality fat burning creams work to increase internal body temps aka thermogenesis.
If you decide that a waist trimmer will help you reach your weight loss goal, we recommend sticking with one of the best slimming belts in our Top 10 because these are currently the top brands on the market with enough real before & after photos to convince us they work.